Thursday, March 20, 2008

My "Statement of Ethics"

Ethics are, simply put, "doing what is right." What is right? "Right," according to the dictionary, is the state of being in conformity to facts or truth; thus, any ability to "do what is right" implies that there is a truth to conform to, and that that truth is applicable to the situation. I believe (based on evidence) that ethics have an absolute basis, not changing according to my culture or individual sentivities. This absolute is Jesus Christ - for He is the Word of God - He is the way, the Truth, and the life.

My values are derived from what I know to be true - thus, my highest value is that Truth is more important to me than anything else, including my life. For several reasons I have found the Bible to be the epitome of truth, not only true as a whole, but true in all of its parts as well -- literally, the word of God, given to man. Because I am dedicated to Truth, I choose to abide by the principles and laws given in the Bible, which are, in essence, two:

  • "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment."

Thus, my mission in life is to carry out this edict. I show this by obeying the commands given by God.

  • "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself..."

"...On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." This means that all of the other descriptors of righteous living are merely attributes of this one motive -- benevolence -- service to God and my neighbour. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, self-denial, work-ethic, patience, meekness, etc. are all manifestations of my obedience to this second command.

No comments: