Thursday, June 12, 2008

John Hyde's Testimony

“John Hyde’s close walk with God had aroused spiritual difficulty in the community where an Indian doctor decided to test the preacher’s daily life. Many had been converted and the native physician wanted to know whether or not Hyde’s religion at home was as genuine as he claimed.

So he dispatched a friend to the missionary, affirming that he too was a Christian believer. Hyde at once opened his home to the Indian, and asked him to remain for several days. This fitted perfectly into the doctor’s scheme, and so the native accepted the invitation. Living with Hyde, he had occasion to study the man in action.

After three or four days the man ran away and went to the doctor who sent him, saying “He has no fault, that man has no fault; he is a god, he is a god, and not a man!”

-- from "Praying Hyde," by Basil Miller

Reading this provoked me to ask myself: "Is that what my testimony is? Do people see my actions and marvel at the work which God does in me?" Is it? I answered myself with a yes....yet hesitated, because I don't actually interact with as many people as I could be interacting -- I find my character to be upright, but that I am often reluctant to place myself on top of the hill, in contact with all I see. This is what God has been pushing me to do (and I have been doing more and more), and the more I do it, the more I see God's marvelous power work. To Him be the glory!

What about you...are you giving the testimony of God that Hyde was?

No comments: