Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Guideline

Having resolved to quit every activity that does not work godliness, I am now continually faced with an evaluative process. To be precise, I must determine in each case whether that activity works godliness or not.

The question then becomes: How do I know if something works godliness or not? What guidelines can I have in place to evaluate my activities against? In other words, I need a way to say "This is not okay because..."

What is it that pushes an activity "over the edge," so to speak, from acceptable and godly to a state where it is not advancing the work of God?

I can set a standard for myself (and have), of certain things that I refuse to do -- but without an absolute principle behind it, the set of rules is really meaningless. The key is to find the principle; once the principle is made plain, I can then take it and apply it to whatever situation I find myself in.

No comments: