Monday, May 4, 2009

On Interpreting Scripture

Sometimes, I feel dumb asking other people what they think about this or that spiritual topic. Not all the time, but when I don’t know the “answer” – for some reason, it strikes me as presumptuous (maybe that’s not the right word, but it seems not quite right, anyway) to ask others, when it is the Spirit of God that leads us into all truth – shouldn’t I simply ask the Author what He meant, if I don’t understand?

If Jesus said that the Spirit, when He was come, would guide us into all truth, I must lay hold on that promise and bring it before God as the basis for my prayer – God has promised that He would send the Spirit, and that the Spirit would guide me into all truth – if I am to live and walk in the Spirit, then I must take God at His word, and actually live that way. So if I am to rightly interpret a section of Scripture, I must be in the Spirit (for who knoweth the mind of man, save the spirit of man; who knoweth the mind of God, save the Spirit of God?).

Now, the wisdom (that is, the correct and skilful application of knowledge) that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated. Easy to be intreated. That means that any enduement of heavenly wisdom will only make me more approachable and willing to listen to others’ thoughts and arguments. Hmm…like love, pure, not rejoicing in iniquity, but rejoicing in truth; heavenly wisdom is first pure, seeking the pure, the right, the truth, so as not to fall into error or sin.

No comments: