Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Rebelution Conference (Part 1)

I promised a review of the Rebelution conference, so as I have time, I will be writing a full report -- to begin with, I have the introductory remarks.

Last Saturday, I attended the Rebelution conference – Portland 2008...

Alex & Brett Harris with their father, Gregg Harris

There were four sessions:

1. Alex
2. Brett
3. Gregg
4. Alex/Gregg/Brett



Before launching into the first session, Alex and Brett introduce themselves and explain how the idea for the Rebelution began, and pose the question: “why are we here? – why are you here?”

They explained that they came to the realization that while culture says “it doesn’t matter how we spend our teen years”….it really DOES matter! So they found themselves in the same kind of position as Jeremiah, when God began to use him:

“Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.” (Jer. 1:4-8)

Seeing that the culture was saying to those who “cannot speak, for they are but children” that it was okay, they didn’t really need the responsibility – they decided that this message was totally contradictory to the true, biblical purpose of not only the teenage years, but of living at all! So they began writing about “doing hard things” on their blog, and that was the beginning of the Rebelution.

....coming at some point will be the first session with Alex Harris.

No comments: