Saturday, October 11, 2008

An Hour a Day, That's All

Last monday, after practicing patient assessment as part of our explorer scout program, the advisor of my scout post thought that we evidently needed more practice in that area (we did). He told us that it would be great if we could have the sheet that outlined the process (steps to take, questions to ask, decisions to make, etc.) by the next meeting. This was kind of unexpected, but not that unreasonable, as we probably should know the steps to go through in order to figure out what is wrong with someone. It was his next comment that I took especial note of -- he said that if we spent an hour a day reading over it and practicing going through it, we would have it down perfectly.

As I was driving home from school a few days ago, I was pondering the "hour a day" suggestion and suddenly had a thought -- do I spend an hour a day studying and practicing my relationship with God? How long do I actually spend studying the Word of God? Bible study is certainly far more important than studying patient assessment procedures: if it is good to spend an hour a day studying for explorer scouts, how much more time ought we to spend studying and building our relationship with the God of the universe? I figured that I average about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day in Bible study (not including church meeting and Sunday school).

How much time do you devote to building your relationship with God?

No comments: