Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just Do It for Me, Please?

Ever come to the point where you go to God and say, “God! I don’t know how I can possibly make this work! What now!? Help!”

I have. And most of the time, I envision God rolling up His sleeves in eagerness and saying “Whew! I thought you’d never ask. I’ve been dying for you to ask me to get in there and do something for you. Now stand back and watch this!”

But wait. Is that really how God reacts? I’m not sure that’s how He works with us all the time, or even most of the time.

I prayed that prayer just the other night, and was wanting and waiting for God to react the way I envisioned He would. But instead He rolled up His sleeves (with just the same eagerness in His eyes), leaned over and said “Andrew, take another look at what you’ve got to work with. Don’t just give up and expect me to take it all out of your hands; I’ve given you a mind, a life, a motivation to work out what I want you to – I put it in your hands because I want to see YOU succeed at it – and when you do, it will be worth rejoicing over. I’m right here with you. Keep working at it. Give it another try.”

And it made me feel like a little kid learning to ride a bicycle, wanting my training wheels back, not wanting my Father to let go, terrified that I might fall over if He does; but at the same time knowing that if I do, He’ll be there to help me up again, to bandage my scraped knee, and give me another push. Knowing that if I learn how to ride my bike all by myself, I could ride to the playground with Him, or even the store, and then when I get bigger, I could go to the store to pick up groceries for Him!

No comments: