Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Love, As an Emotion

Love, as an emotion, is kind of a weird thing to think about.

Love is something that is deep and abiding, like a current in the ocean as opposed to a whitecap that forms when the wind blows and then disappears just as quickly. Love is the little “me” inside that is overflowing with enthusiastic excitement, and is dying just to be let out of his cage just so he can hold your hand and walk with you in the park. Love is the flesh of the wound that is inflicted when I hurt someone. Love feels grief, pain, and loneliness intensely; love softens the wounds of hatred, malice, and sharp remarks.

But love is not an emotion. All those emotions follow love like a bumper sticker, but love is not feeling. Love is a choice. Love is action. Love is deliberate; love is habitual. Love is so closely tied up with trust, honesty, and truth, that sometimes it seems hard to tell the one from the other. Love is boring at times, sometimes even drudgery, because love is working towards the greatest good, and that work is not always sunshine and roses. Love is bold and courageous, because I really have nothing to lose but myself, and love is not selfish.

1 comment:

Lydighet said...

YES, BROTHER! I'm totally for love as an action! I take joy remembering that because I don't always feel friendly toward people, whether justly or unjustly. I need to remember that improving the lives of others without expecting anything in return is love, not a feeling I have for someone.